In accordance with Chapter 2, Article V, Division 4 of the Revised Ordinances of the Town of North Kingstown, the Conservation Commission has the power and duty to:
- Promote and develop the natural resources.
- Protect the watershed resources.
- Preserve natural aesthetic areas within the Town.
- Conduct research into local land areas and coordinate the activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes.
- Advertise, prepare, print and distribute books, maps, charts, plans and pamphlets, which in its judgment it deems necessary for its work.
- Promote and develop ordinances for the Town Council's consideration.
- Protect and conserve the environmental quality of the Town.
- Receive, investigate and hold public hearings on all complaints pertaining to pollution of the environment and forward recommendations to the Town Council for its examination, evaluation and such action as the Council may deem necessary.
- The Conservation Commission may recommend to the Town Council boards or agencies a program for the better promotion, development, utilization or preservation of open areas, streams, shores, wooded areas, roadsides, swamps, marshlands and natural aesthetic areas.